Saturday, August 4, 2012

State of Emergency

When asked, "Why Iceland", which a lot of people have asked, I have had to redesign my answer quite a bit.

Back in 2000, when the idea of seriously traveling to Iceland first entered my mind, the answer was simple.  I was (and am) obsessed with Björk.  This was and is no surprise to anyone who knows me.  I wanted to travel half way across the world to simply see the native land of a musician I have never met, but yet has inspired and motivated me to no end for nearly half my life.

Over the years, trips to Iceland have been made, cancelled, rescheduled, cancelled, rescheduled, cancelled...you get the idea.

It wasn't until 2009 when I was literally forcing myself to stay awake on a 10 hour flight from San Francisco to Dublin, Ireland just to catch a glimpse of Iceland as I flew over it that I realized, this is ridiculous.  You need to make this happen.

In 2010 I decided for my 30th birthday (7, January of 2012) I was going to buy myself the trip I felt I so honestly deserved,  My trip to Iceland!  And here we are, August of 2012.  In 1 week I will be in Iceland!

BUT, the reasons for going have changed.  It would be a complete lie to say that Björk was NOT an inspiration to travel to Iceland.  She was.  But the more I researched it, the more I realized this is a place I have to go to, despite who lived there then, now or ever.

I started ordering travel information and knew I was in trouble when I got a DVD and just cried for the whopping 4 minutes that was the "Iceland, Beautiful" DVD.  This was a place I HAD to go to.

So now that I have shared what could be considered embarrassing and possibly psychotic behavior as to why I feel a need to take this trip - I don't care.  I am realizing a trip I have felt in me for a long time and I couldn't be more excited.  

Welcome to Wandering Iceland. 


No comments:

Post a Comment